Netball Drill Demonstration
This drill is designed to test a players catching, passing, pivoting and leading ability.
- Emphasise a two handed catch over a one handed catch
- Eyes watching the ball into the hands
• Fingers and thumbs spread in a “W” shape ready to receive
- Fingers and thumbs relaxed but strong
- Hands and arms outstretched towards the ball
- Step forward and reach with hands to catch
- Snatch the ball with strong fingers and bend arms when receiving the ball to lessen the impact whilst pulling the ball towards the body
- Keep thumbs behind the ball with fingers spread and relaxed
- Bring the ball back to the chest ready for the return pass
- Allow time for a balanced landing position before throwing the ball
Shoulder Pass – 1 handed
- Stand side-on to the intended receiver
- Feet should be shoulder width apart with knees slightly bent and weight on the back foot
- The ball can be held with two hands but as the arm is taken back behind the shoulder the ball is held with one hand
- Elbow should be bent
- The opposite foot to the throwing arm should be forward
- Transfer the body weight from the back foot to the front foot as the player steps forward with the front foot
- The ball is pushed forward with the shoulder, elbow, wrist and fingers
- Follow through with the hand whilst the fingers should be pointing in line with the throw
- In order to pivot the player with the ball must turn in a rotating motion on the ball of the first grounded foot. This turning motion should be away from the defender.
- The ball should be held close to the body whilst it is positioned to throw.
- As the player pivots around, the head should precede the body so the eyes are looking at where the pass can be thrown.
Created by Will, Netball Coach, Australia