Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell the players the following.....
- The coach will call a colour.
- At that point the players from those cones should run to the bottom of the grid and turn and face the attack, they will be the defenders.
- When the defence gets to the bottom of the grid, the remaining players can pick up the ball and attack, it should be 4 v 2.
- The attack aims to score a try at the bottom of the grid, and the defence aims to oppose the attack.
- When the attack is finished all the players return to their starting positions.
- The pace of the exercise should be quick.
- Decide if the exercise is contact or touch.
- Players react quickly to the call for a colour, you can speed this up by giving the defence only 2 seconds to get to position.
- The attack moves quickly to fix the defenders, and identify space.
- Support players provide the ball carrier with options.
- Pass are weighted correctly in terms of timing, speed, distance and accuracy.
- Defenders do not over commit.