Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell your players the following.........
- The coach will call a number e.g. 1.
- That attacking group must attack, aiming to score a try at the opposite end of the grid.
- The defence must try to stop them, but their target is to turnover the ball.
- Simple as that - except the number calls will be quick - there will be no delays between attacks, so the defence must be Sharpe and respond quickly to what they see.
- That's it - lets play.
- Don't forget to change the defenders.
- When appropriate, defenders seek to take attacker and ball in contact.
- Line speed closes space quickly.
- Defenders only commit to turn-over the ball when an attacker is isolated and there is little or no change of an offload.
- Defenders seek to stay out of rucks, unless they can turn the ball.
- When there is a 3 v 4, defender press the attack to pass quickly and over distance, using a strike runner to try and intercept.