Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell your players the following.....
- The attacking group will wait at the top of the training area until the coach calls the number of defenders.
- On the call of 1, 2 or 3 - they should attack - aiming to score a try at the opposite end of the grid.
- The defenders will go in the numbers called. If the coach calls 1, then defender 1 goes - the rest do not. If the coach calls 2, then defenders 1 and 2 go, and if the coach calls 3 - then all 3 defenders go.
- Defenders who are called can move forward and back, left and right.
- That's it, lets go.
- You will need to decide if this is a contact exercise or not.
- Don't forget to change the defenders.
- Attackers keep their heads up, reacting to to what they hear and see.
- Attackers seek to fix defenders, moving the ball away from them once fixed.
- The attack works at speed, with receivers coming onto the ball at pace.
- Defenders use changes in foot-speed and drift.
- Defenders do not over commit to any one player, they seek to force the pass.
- Defender work to isolate attackers, always aware of the possibility of intercepting passes, as well as tackling attackers.