Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell your players the following.......
- One team of 7 will be in attack, the attack should start behind the 22 meter line and they will have the ball.
- The defenders will have 4 defenders behind the posts, the other defenders will be in goal (give them a passing exercise to do).
- On the whistle the attack begins, it will be 7 v 4, full contact.
- If the attack score a try, the defence will then go to 5 players - and will again start from behind the posts while the attack will start from behind the 22.
- Each time the attack score, the defence increases by 1.
- Count how many attacks are needed to get to a 7 v 7 situation.
- The teams will then switch.
- The winning team is the team that can get to a 7 v 7 situation in the fewest attacks.
- Attackers communicate to identify the catcher of the ball.
- The high ball is caught in such a way to minimize the risk of a knock on.
- Attackers move the point of attack following the caught kick, if the defence is chasing the kick.
- Defenders establish a line and close space quickly, pushing the attack towards the sideline.
- Attackers use their numbers to fix defenders, using the all the space available to the attack.