Rugby Drill Demonstration
- Groups of three, the aim of the exercise is for the second defender to contest the tackle.
- One player starts with the ball, standing still.
- A defender is on one or both knees preparing to tackle the attacker.
- A second defender is stood ready behind the first defender.
- The first defender wraps their arms round the attacker and tackles them to the floor.
- The attacker presents the ball as if to the scrum half.
- The second defender rucks over (contesting the tackle) and should steal the ball.
- The tackler needs to wrap their arms round the attacker just above the knees in order to bring them to the floor.
- The second defender should ensure they are in a low rucking position and may need to help the first defender to tackle the attacker to the floor.
Drill tags: contesting, tackling