Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell your players to do the following.......
- The two passing players keep passing the ball until the coach shouts GO.
- On GO, the player holding the ball is an attacker, the other two attackers will go with that players.
- The remaining passer becomes a defender, and will join the defence with the two defenders at the bottom of the grid.
- On GO - the attack begins, and the defence should try and stop them.
- The attack aims to score a try at the bottom of the grid.
- Following each attack the players should return to their positions, but should swap around.
- You might decide to start this as a touch exercise, then go to contact.
- Communication is central to the attack and the defence.
- The attack must be quick to take advantage of the defender that is behind the attacking line.
- Attackers must seek to fix defenders and stop any drift.
- Attacker must move at pace onto the ball.
- Attackers line, are at speed and towards pace.
- Attackers draw defenders away from where they with to pass the ball.
- The attack should have freedom to experiment and be creative, if we can't try new things in training - where can we?