Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell your players the following......
- The ball carrier runs across the grid with the ball.
- The opposite player becomes the defender and can tackle.
- The remaining two players become support options.
- The ball carrier should aim to beat the defender, if they can't they should aim to off-load the ball, if they can't do that - they should aim to pop the ball off the deck, and finally if they can't to that - they should present the ball on the floor.
- One of the support players should take the ball, the remaining support player becomes a defender.
- And so the sequence repeats.
- That's it, lets get to work.
- Talk about decision making with your players, and agree a framework. Discuss the decisions that can be made, when they should be made, the pros and cons.
- Encourage players to make decisions quickly.
- Attackers carry the ball in two hands.
- Communication between the ball carrier and support is vital.
- Player should make a decision, even if it's the wrong decision, we can learn from that.