Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell your players the following......
- Players will attack in teams of 3, each attacking unit will have their own ball.
- At the pads, the ball carrier must hit and roll or hit and spin or sidestep.
- They will then face 3 v 2 situations following each pad.
- Their objective is to get to the other side, without making a mistake, and score a try!
- The following group of 3 can go when they feel there is a reasonable gap between the attacking units.
- Don't forget to change your players about.
- Ball carriers carry the ball in two hands, but be flexible if players wish to experiment. Discuss the pros and cons with them.
- Question, don't tell. Rugby is a simple game, draw the coaching points from your players.
- Ball carriers use footwork to avoid contact, or to move out of contact quickly, giving them a better position to off-load the ball.
- Support runners communicate giving the ball carrier information about timing, position etc.
- Attackers use a variety of passes.
- Allow players to experiment and have fun.