Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell them the following......
- The ball carrier will run forward with the ball, their partner will go with them in support.
- The ball carrier will pass the ball to the supporting player, who is moving forward.
- The new ball carrier will now pass the ball to the first receiver in the next group of two, who should be chasing - but no too close.
- And so the exercise continues, with each set of two support the last set of two.
- The challenge is, as well as good passing, is that the players should be around the 5 meter boxes and sprint back their starting position in order to keep the ball moving without stopping.
- Remind the players that this must be done at pace.
- Passes are weighted correctly in terms of speed and distance.
- Short passes are not spun.
- Receivers hands are out and they call the pass.
- Receivers take the ball at pace.
- The work rate must be high, and players should aim to make every pass as good as the best pass - no matter how tired they might feel.