Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell your players the following.....
- This game is about support and ensuring that support is close to the ball carrier.
- This is a non contact game.
- When the ball carrier is touch, they must stop and set the ball down.
- Two attacking player must touch the ball carrier within 3 second.
- If they make their target - any of the two supporting players can move the ball to continue the attack.
- If the ball carrier is not touch by two other attacking players within 3 seconds - then the ball is turned over.
- There is no set number of touches.
- The ball will be turned over when the attacking team makes a mistake or do not meet their support target.
- The defence must act within the laws of the game.
- Players must understand that the ball carrier needs support and they need to be in position quickly.
- Get players to think about what they might be required to do in support, use questioning to help player build a decision making framework.
- Attackers scan the pitch for space and mismatches, choosing to attack those areas.
- Attackers run lines that do not isolate them in a contact situation.
- Keep the attack wide, and quick, especially following a line break.