Rugby Drill Demonstration
- Using cones mark out the four corners and the midways points of each side of a 20 x 20 meter training area.
- Divide your players into groups of 8, and allocate one group of 8 to each training area.
- Have one coach at each training area, and one ball.
- Each player should have their own cone to stand on, as shown in the diagram.
- Have more than one training area in order to keep your players as busy as possible.
- Tell your players the following......
- This will be a 5 v 3 attacking opportunity for the 5 players given the ball.
- There are 4 players on the midpoint positions, one on each side of the training area. The coach will give the ball to one of those players.
- The 4 closest players will join the ball carrier in attack, the opposite 3 players will become defenders.
- The try line is just across the defenders starting line.
- The defenders operate within the laws of the game and should try to stop the attack by turning the ball, forcing a mistake, or pushing the attack out of the playing area.
- The attack should aim to score a try, but should play within the laws of the game.
- When the attack is over the coach will take the ball and players should return to their starting positions for the next attack.
- Don't forget to give every player the opportunity to play in attack and defence by changing the starting position of the ball.
- Attackers identify running lines that cut the drift, or attack space.
- Attackers attack at pace, using all the space available.
- The defence pushes up as a line, not on a blitz, but drifting, pushing the ball and the attack out of the box.
- Attackers do not spin short passes.
- Attackers run supporting pattern that allow them to take an off-load from contact.