Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell your players the following......
- On the 4 players side, they will go 2 at a time in attack - the balls should be with these players. They will advance around the lower part of the training area.
- On the 6 players side, they will go 3 at a time in order to provide 3 defenders, one will advance to the 7 meter marker, the second will go to the 14 meter marker, and the last will stay at the back of the grid. They will advance around the top part of the training area.
- The attacking players will now face three 2 v 1 situations.
- Once the attack finishes the two attacking players return to their starting position, the next two attackers go. At the same time the next three defenders go, while the last three defenders return to their starting position.
- Don't forget to give every player a chance in attack and defence.
- Attackers draw the defender away from the direction of the pass, if the defender does not come with them - they attack the open space.
- The ball carrier times their pass, not too early.
- Passes are weighted correctly in terms of speed, accuracy, and distance.
- Supporting players respond to what they see, attacking from depth and hitting the ball at pace.
- Communication between attackers is timely, and the ball carrier is aware of their supporting player and their position.
- Attacker use changes in foot-speed etc. to beat the defence.