Rugby Drill Demonstration
- With each new instruction to players you'll be having a race, lets see which group is the fastest - no cheating!
- Don't spend too much time talking, get the players into their groups quickly and tell them to do the following:
- Pass the ball between your legs to the person behind you - keep going until the ball reaches the end of the line.
- Same thing as above, but this time when the ball reaches the end of the line, the player at the end runs the ball back and the ball starts the same journey again. This is repeating until the every player has run from the back to the front of the line.
- Same idea but this time under legs then next person passes over head, next under legs (under/over/under etc.)
- Same idea but twist hips to pass to person behind first to the left then to the right - back person runs to front.
- As above but just over the head.
- Progress this with your own ideas e.g. pass to the person behind you with one hand etc.
- This warm-up should be full of fun.
You don't have to focus on all of the following coaching points, create your own or pick the ones that are more appropriate to your session.
- Change teams if one team is always coming last!
- Two hands on the ball at all times, unless instructed.
- Four hands on the ball at the moment of the pass.
- Good communication between the passer and the receiver.
- Receivers hands are out and ready to take the pass.
- Players encourage one another, even when mistakes are made.
- If a ball is dropped, play on, focus on the next pass.
- There should be a sense of fun, but with a high tempo.
- Encourage competition.
- Keep players moving, and encouraging listening skills at all time.
- Coach on the go, without stopping the activity if possible.
Younger players love having fun with this - so why not have the last player crawl through the legs of all the other players to carry the ball back instead of running, or start the ball at the rear - and have that person crawl through the legs of the other players, getting back in time to receive the last pass. You'll have to have a set of balls at the rear of each line for this - or maybe assistant coaches could keep the balls coming. Why not do this to music?