Rugby Drill Demonstration
The aim of this game is to increase player defence and decision making.
- Set up a field about 15m long by 10m wide. Keep it narrow to give he defenders a better chance at catching the runners.
- Tell all the players to line up at one end facing back down the playing field.
- Choose 2 players to stand in the middle and tell them they are the defenders who have to tag any runners before they reach the other side.
- Explain to the runners they have to run from one end to the other without getting tagged by the defenders.
- If a runner gets tagged they must stop exactly where they were tagged and stand on that spot. They are called octopuses and cannot move until the game is finished.
- The octopuses can, however, tag runners if the come close enough to reach. This continues until there are no more runners and the last runner wins.
The key is to make sure the octopuses stand still while trying to tag runners.
Soldier running - pump the arms and lift the knees
2 handed tags- taggers should get used to tagging with 2 hands