Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell the players the following.......
- Lay flat on the ground.
- In a moment but not yet, I want you to get to your feet, but you cannot use your knees.
- You will get up like a surfer, pushing up with your hands and jumping to your feet.
- It's a race, lets see who can get up first?
- On your call the place get to their feet and then back down again.
- When they have got the idea, have some fun with it e.g. last one up sings two lines from their favorite song. But whatever you do has to be fun and not humiliating.
- Speed to your feet is vital.
- Knees should not be used when getting to your feet.
- Players push up quickly, using strength to push their entire body into the air.
- Feet hitting the ground should be wide, knees must be bent.
- Upright body position should be low, with hands down and ready to compete for the ball.