Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell the players to do the following......
- The player with the ball passes to the next player and follows the direction of the ball.
- The chasing or support player must touch the cone of the player they passed to.
- The player who receives the ball does the same and so on to the last player who receives the ball and runs around the group to the first cone and restarts the drill.
- The player returning to their cone, must backstep their way to their starting location.
You can progress this by introducing more than one ball.
Don't feel that your need to focus on all of the following coaching points. Choose the points that take into account your players ability, and your own training and session goals.
- The receivers hand should be out, ready to receive the ball and presenting a taget for the passer.
- The ball carrier should pass the ball before running. The pass should be weighted correctly in terms of distance, speed, and accuracy.
- Players should consider if a spin pass is needed or not.
- Players should pass off both hands during this exercise.
- Passers should execute the pass with the following in mind: the foot opposite to the direction of the pass is forward, the passing hand is further back than the supporting hand, the elbow of the passing hand is up, the passer follows through the pass using the wrists to generate power, the passing hand and supporting hands are spread across the ball pointing down, the point of the ball is raised slightly, the passing hands draws across the ball to create the spin - with the ball rolling off the tips of the fingers, the pass motion is fluid rather than forced.
- As players become more comfortable and experience success, increase the passing distance.
- Communicate should be effective, efficient, and encouraging - highlighting the next receiver, their location, and if the pass is a short or long pass.
- Passers should follow their pass at speed, they should be up on their toes while backtracking to their starting position.
- Accept that, within reason, that player will make mistakes. Give you players to do so without over focusing on mistake. The next pass and the next catch is the most important - and it is your responsibility as a coach to train your players in order to reduce mistakes.
- Have fun!