Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell your players the following...
- On GO Player A passes to B who in turn passes to Player C. At the same time Player E passes F.
- Once the players have passed the ball they then swap with the opposite player.
Player A swaps with Player E, player B swaps with Player F, Player C with Player G, Player D with H.
- It's important that players only swap once they have passed the ball and only pass it when a player is in position to receive it.
So - players swap following a pass - with their opposite number, the pass is always left.
Don't feel that your need to focus on all of the following coaching points. Choose the points that take into account your players ability, and your own training and session goals
- The receivers hand should be out, ready to receive the ball and presenting a target for the passer.
- The ball carrier should pass the ball before running. The pass should be weighted correctly in terms of distance, speed, and accuracy.
- Players should consider if a spin pass is needed or not.
- Players should pass off both hands during this exercise.
- Passers should execute the pass with the following in mind: the foot opposite to the direction of the pass is forward, the passing hand is further back than the supporting hand, the elbow of the passing hand is up, the passer follows through the pass using the wrists to generate power, the passing hand and supporting hands are spread across the ball pointing down, the point of the ball is raised slightly, the passing hands draws across the ball to create the spin - with the ball rolling off the tips of the fingers, the pass motion is fluid rather than forced.
- As players become more comfortable and experience success, increase the passing distance.
- Communicate should be effective, efficient, and encouraging - highlighting the next receiver, their location, and if the pass is a short or long pass.
- Accept that, within reason, that player will make mistakes. Give you players to do so without over focusing on mistake. The next pass and the next catch is the most important - and it is your responsibility as a coach to train your players in order to reduce mistakes.
- Players work together as a team.
- We could add more balls to get the players working harder, and thinking more!
- Change the direction of the pass.
- Have fun!
We could do the same, but with the pass going right.