Rugby Drill Demonstration
- Brief your players one what you would like them to do.
- Start the activity by having all players pass the ball around the grid in any direction, they should moving around the grid as they do so. The only restriction is that they must pass in order 1 - 2, 2 - 3, 3 - 4, 4 - 5, 5 - 1 and so.
- Progress this exercise by having player 1 become a defender. The other players move the ball to avoid being touched by the defender. So in this example the ball would move in the following sequence: 2, 3, 4, 5, 2, 3, 4, 5.
- After some time, change the defender. Player 2 should now be the defender, the passing sequence changes to: 1, 3, 4, 5, 1, 3, 4, 5 etc.
- Progress this exercise further by choosing random defenders, attackers will quickly need to work out the passing sequence.
- If attackers get the passing sequence wrong, they do 1, 2, 3 etc. press ups - the defender does not.
You don't have to focus on all of the following coaching points, you may have some of your own. Choose the coaching points that best support your session and training goals.
- Players move into and attack space.
- Good communication is essential. Attackers support the ball carrier by calling out their number, indicating that they are the next receiver.
- Communication should be effective, efficient, and encouraging. The timing of communication is also important e.g. 'I am 2, I am 2, short left, short left'.
- Ball receivers have their hands out ready to receive the pass.
- Passers make the pass to where the receiver will be, not where they are. THe exception to this is when the defender is no close enough to be a problem.
- Passes are weighted correctly in terms of speed, distance, and accuracy.
- Players don't use spin passes over short distance.
- Passers are sympathetic to the receiver and only consider the pass a 'good pass' when the ball is caught.
- Defenders track the ball seeking to close done attackers quickly.
- Attackers use changes in foot speed, spins, sides steps etc. to avoid contact.
- Attackers keep the tempo of this exercise high and seek to move the ball quickly.
Tag Variation: All players have tags, and the defender tries to tag the players with the ball. Change over after every 30 - 60 seconds.