Rugby Drill Demonstration
Keep your player briefing short and tell your players the following....
- 3 attackers line up on the first three cones, the rest fall in behind.
- One attacking line will go at a time.
- The SH will work from near the top of the grid - off to the left.
- The first attacking line goes.
- The SH passes to the first receiver in the attacking line..
- The ball carrier and the second receiver switch - using the top to cones as targets. They can..... Switch, dummy, pass to the 3rd receiver.
- That's it - let the players play.
Don't feel that you have to focus on all of the following coaching points, you may have your own. Select the points that most closely match your overall training and session goals.
- Players should work to keep the tempo of the session high.
- Receivers hands should be out, presenting a target.
- Ball carriers carry the ball in two hands.
- The pass is weighted in terms of distance, speed, and accuracy.
- The pass is only complete when caught.
- Players do not spin the ball over short distances and their pass should be sympathetic to the receiver.
- Ball carriers pass to where the receiver is going to be, not where they are.
- The receiver attacks at pace, receiving the ball while moving forward at pace.
- Players demonstrate good communication . Communication should be efficient, effective, and encouraging. Receivers should identify themselves, their location etc. Ball carriers should verbally seek out support.
- Mistakes will be made, allow your players the freedom to make mistakes without feeling a failure.
- Passing should be off both hands. There is no weak or strong hand, just hands that need a little more work. Work is the key, not talent.
- Ball carriers should be aware of their support: the support runners position etc.
- Allow players to be creative.
- The attack can maintain width and depth.
- Switching players time their run, judging their running line.
- The supporting player in the switch runs a line behind the ball carrier - and the players are aware of their options.
- If you add defenders, the switch is not executed too soon and players respond to what they see.
You could add to defenders and extend the size of the grid, removing the switch cones that have been used to mark the switch.