Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell your players the following......
- One player will be a ball carrier.
- The player directly opposite will make a half tackle, lifting the ball carrier onto their shoulder.
- The ball carrier will look for an off-load to a supporting player on the left or right. The support players will be the first player on the other two cones, to the right and left of the ball carrier.
- The ball is off-loaded and the catching player becomes the new ball carrier, while the remaining support player becomes the new defender. The other two players clear the traffic and the above happens again - with the new support players coming from the other two cones.
- This can take a minute or two to get going, but stay with it.
Don't feel that you need to focus on all of the following coaching points. Pick the points that best match you training and session goals.
- Ball carriers carry the ball in two hands.
- The tempo of the exercise builds and moves at pace.
- Players clear the traffic in the middle of the grid quickly.
- Ball carriers off-load in contact - using a range of passing methods to move the ball quickly.
- Support players communicate quickly and clearly to highlight their location, distance etc.
- The pass is made, and is weighted correctly in terms of speed, distance, and accuracy.
- Passes should be legal, support should approach from slightly behind the ball carrier.
- The defender lifts the ball carrier off the ground, but keep them safe - making sure the lift is controlled.
- The defender makes the lifts safely, using the strength in their legs.
- The defender safely returns the attacker to the ground.
- The ball carry off-loads the ball, sometimes with one hand.
- The support runners clearly present targets for the ball carriers.