Rugby Drill Demonstration
- Within each group of 10, there should be 4 attackers and 6 defenders.
- The defenders should be in the outer grid and the attackers will be in the inner grid.
- The defenders cannot enter the inner grid.
- The players can pass the ball in any direction inside the inner grid, and can move around as much as they like.
- When they attack outside the inner grid, they can only use non forward passes.
- The aim of the game is for the attackers to touch the ball down outside the outer grid, without getting touched.
- If the attacker gets touch, they swap places with the defender that touched them - they become a defended and the defender now becomes an attacker.
- Decide on two handed or one handed touch, it's your call.
- You might also decide to give your four attackers a period of time and unlimited touches before switching defensive and attacking players.
- Don't forget to give everyone a chance in attack and defence.
You don't need to focus on all of the following coaching points. Choose the points that apply to your training and session goals, also you may have your own coaching points.
- Keep the tempo of this exercise high.
- Attackers use a number of passing styles to move the ball within the inner grid, including passes with just one hand.
- Passes are weighted correctly in terms of speed, distance, and accuracy.
- Communication between attackers and defenders is efficient, effective, and encouraging. It not only focuses on what is happening now, but what might happen next.
- Defenders seek to eliminate mismatches.
- Attackers aim to create mismatches, 2 v 1 situations.
- During 2 v 1 situations the ball carrier works to draw the defender away from the space that the support runner will attack, while keeping in mind that the defender may decide to drift early or might be sent off course by a dummy pass.
- Attackers use changes in foot speed, running lines, side steps, and spins to beat defenders.
- defenders track attackers, closing down space and attacking options quickly.
- Attackers support the ball carrier.
Give all the players a set of tags, to speed up change overs. The defenders now need to remove a tag from an attacker.