Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell the players the following......
- When the attack advances the defenders PRESS UP on the attack.
- The attackers must pass the ball down the line, no inside passes.
- The defenders PUSH/DRIFT across pushing the attack towards the sideline.
- When the attack reaches the end of the grid, if it reaches the end - the attack turn and sets - as does the defence. The exercise restarts.
- This is a full contact exercise.
- Don't forget to switch defenders into attack.
- Defender use keywords in communication.
- They listen to one another, but there is a clear leader.
- Defender do not rush up and over commit.
- Defenders realize that if they can apply pressure, they can force mistakes and force the pass.
- They should not stand off and invite the attack, there needs to be a balance between line speed and the ability to drift.
- Defenders should use the sideline as an extra defender.