Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell your players the following......
- The team with 7 players will be in attack for the first half.
- Normal 7 rules apply.
- If the ball is turned or knocked on etc. the attack will get the ball back again and can restart with a free kick.
- Change the attacking team, switching one of the current attacking players.
- Defenders do not over commit, they are aware of the need to close down the attack, yet not over commit to any one ball carrier.
- The attack, holds the defence, fixing defenders and moving the ball to space.
- The attack should have the freedom to experiment, as a coach question decisions without being critical.
- Pause the game, not too often, to ask players what they see, what they expect will happen next, and why?
- Possession is everything, the attack needs to be willing to wait for their right opportunity.