Rugby Drill Demonstration
- Brief your players one what you would like the to do by telling them the following....
- One of the players will stand outside the grid, they are the traffic light.
- The rest of the players will be inside the grid passing one ball.
- When the traffic light player shouts GREEN, they turn and face away from the grid (they can decide for how long).
- The players within the grid and continue to pass the ball, as fast as they can - they don't want to be the player holding the ball when the Traffic Light shouts RED.
- On the call of RED the Traffic Light player turns around to see who is holding the ball.
- On the RED call the players must stop passing the ball right away.
- The player holding the ball becomes the new traffic light, and the old traffic light enters the grid as a passer.
You don't have to focus on all of the following coaching points, you may have some of your own. Choose the coaching points that best support your session and training goals.
- Players move the ball quickly.
- Good communication is essential, the ability to listen to the call of the traffic light is important.
- Communication should be effective, efficient, and encouraging between the passers - but this is a game and they can have, within reason, a little fun.
- Ball receivers have their hands out ready to receive the pass.
- Passers make the pass to where the receiver will be, not where they are. THe exception is when the reciever is not moving.
- Passes are weighted correctly in terms of speed, distance, and accuracy.
- Players don't use spin passes over short distance.
- Passers are sympathetic to the receiver and only consider the pass a 'good pass' when the ball is caught.
- Attackers keep the tempo of this exercise high and seek to move the ball quickly.
- Ball carriers can be limited to just 2 seconds with the ball.
- You might consider allow the passers to increase the speed of passes in order to test the ability of the reciever.
- Have fun!
You can make this a little harder by adding another ball, changing the rules to give the players lives, lose two lives by being caught with the ball - and you become the traffic light.