Rugby Drill Demonstration
- Keep your player briefing, brief!
- Tell you players the following......
- Players will attack in groups of 2, so we have 2 v 1's.
- That's it - get them moving for a while - and remind the defenders that they can only move from side to side.
- After a while - tell the attackers that the ball carrier must take contact - and pass the ball out of contact.
- That's it - get the players moving again and let them discover how it's done.
- Don't forget to change the defenders.
Don't feel that you have to focus on all of the following coaching points, you may have your own. Select the points that most closely match your overall training and session goals.
- Players should work to keep the tempo of the session high.
- Receivers hands should be out, presenting a target.
- Ball carriers carry the ball in two hands.
- The pass is weighted in terms of distance, speed, and accuracy.
- The pass is only complete when caught.
- Players do not spin the ball over short distances and their pass should be sympathetic to the receiver.
- Ball carriers pass to where the receiver is going to be, not where they are.
- The receiver attacks at pace, receiving the ball while moving forward at pace.
- Players demonstrate good communication . Communication should be efficient, effective, and encouraging. Receivers should identify themselves, their location etc. Ball carriers should verbally seek out support.
- Mistakes will be made, allow your players the freedom to make mistakes without feeling a failure.
- Passing should be off both hands. There is no weak or strong hand, just hands that need a little more work. Work is the key, not talent.
- Ball carriers should be aware of their support: the support runners position etc.
- Allow players to be creative.
- The attack can maintain width and depth.
- Players should understand why a support runner is useful, draw this out by questioning players - not by telling them.
- The ball carrier moves the ball out of contact in a number of way, including but not limited to....
- Turn and pop.
- Support player rips and rolls.
- Ball carrier gets behind the defender and passes.
- Support player drive on the ball and spins.