Rugby Drill Demonstration
- Tell your players the following.....
- There will be 4 players on the outside of the circle, starting at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions.
- There will be one player in the middle.
- The players on the outside of the circle jog around the circle.
- The player in the middle will have a ball, and will pass the ball to one of the runners - for them to run onto it.
- The new ball carrier will pass the ball back to the static player in the middle of the circle.
- And the same happens again, but the passer cannot bass to the same player twice.
- Players will have to respond to the calls: SLOW JOG, FAST JOG, FASTER, CHANGE DIRECTION, TOUCH THE GROUD WITH YOUR RIGHT HAND, TOUCH THE GROUND WITH YOUR LEFT HAND, etc.
- Don't forget to change the static player.
You don't have to focus on all of the following coaching points, you may have some of your own. Choose the coaching points that best support your session and training goals.
- The player in the middle can use a number of pass, and the supporting players must run onto them e.g. a flick pass backwards, a one handed spin in the opposite direction. This will keep the runners on their toes, and test the passing ability of the static player. There is no point in progressing to this if the static player cannot weight their passes correctly.
- Have more than one static player in the middle with a ball each.
- Place poles around the edge of the circle for runner to weave in and out of. This will force them to not only scan the passer, but what is happening in front of them.