Rugby Drill Demonstration
- Keep your player briefing, brief! If necessary you might considering having one group quickly demonstrate the exercise to the other players.
- Tell the players the following.......
- This exercise is nice and simple, and fun.
- Each player will stand on a cone.
- The game starts with 1 pass right, then two passes left, then three right, then four left, then five right and so on until someone makes a mistake.
- The tempo of this game should be high.
- Close the circle as each player leaves.
- If you make a mistake, your out!
- A mistake includes: dropped balls and bad passes.
- The last two players standing, still play the game with two balls.
- If players can't agree who made a mistake - you resolve all disputes.
- Quick Hands!
- This should be fun!
- Don't forget to keep players that have been put out busy.
- Don't feel that you have to focus on all of the following coaching points, you may have your own. Select the points that most closely match your overall training and session goals.
- Players should aim to keep the ball moving, catch and pass right away.
- The tempo of this activity should be high, it should be fun!
- Passers do not spin the ball when there is no need to, we're close - so there is no need.
- Passes should be weighted in terms of distance, accuracy, and speed.
- A pass is only complete when caught, but in this game that is the catchers problem - as long as the pass is good.
- The receivers hands should be out.
- The pass requires soft hands as the speed of this exercise increases. This is about guiding the ball, rather than focing the pass.
- Communication should be encouraging, effective, and efficient - but in this game it's dog eat dog and some of the communication may not be so encouraging - but keep it light hearted.
- Players should not view mistakes as failures, simply part of the learning process.
- Differentiate your groups and allocate control tasks appropriate to the groups ability level. Every group should feel stretched but should experience success.
- Players need to think about what they are doing, but also about what they will be doing next, just like in the game!
- Have fun, remember build your players confidence!