Tell your players the following.......
- There should be one group of 4 players between each cone on the four sides of the grid.
- The ball carrying group will advance - passing the ball down the line.
- When the ball gets to the last receiver in the attacking line, they will pass the ball to the first receiver in the next attacking line.
- Simple as that - they should keep going.
- All four groups must go, in any one cycle of attacks - a cycle is 4 attacks.
- Progression: Add in one or two defenders, have them work from side to side - rather than closing down space and - don't forget to change the defenders into attack after some time in defence.
Don't feel that you have to focus on all of the following coaching points, you may have your own. Select the points that most closely match your overall training and session goals. Players should work to keep the tempo of the session high. Receivers hands should be out, presenting a target. Ball carriers carry the ball in two hands. The pass is weighted in terms of distance, speed, and accuracy. The pass is only complete when caught. Players do not spin the ball over short distances and their pass should be sympathetic to the receiver. Ball carriers pass to where the receiver is going to be, not where they are. Ball carriers provide a flat ball or a ball that the receiver can run onto. The receiver attacks at pace, receiving the ball while moving forward at pace. Players demonstrate good communication . Communication should be efficient, effective, and encouraging. Receivers should identify themselves, their location etc. Ball carriers should verbally seek out support. Mistakes will be made, allow your players the freedom to make mistakes without feeling a failure. Passing should be off both hands. There is no weak or strong hand, just hands that need a little more work. Work is the key, not talent. You can do this by starting the ball at the opposite end of the attacking line. Players can be creative in attack. Attacks try not to drift. Increase the size of the grid to increase the width of the pass and attack, players keep the attack wide using all of the space.