Hockey Drill Demonstration
*** AUDIO DESCRIPTION ON ***
To teach the attacker to use their body positioning and movement to commit the defender to their open stick side before eliminating with a lift on the reverse stick side.
By using your body to sell the defender one way opens up their other side to eliminate them to get through into the D for a goal shot or to them move the ball on.
- Angle of the drive should be to the defender's open stick to commit the defender.
- The ball is held at 1 o'clock on the forehand side and the attacker approaches the defender with the body positioned in a way that they can either pass or drag the ball either way, creating indecision in the defenders mind.
- Players should emphasise the step off the right foot to the defender's open side - this commits the defender to this side.
- Open the stick face to lift the ball with a high left elbow, keeping the stick in a strong position to go past the defender's left foot.
- On the lift, keep the ball on the end of the stick for as long as possible to reduce the chances of losing control of the ball.
- Accelerate away.