Short on time? That's where our weekly Hockey lesson plans come in handy!
Throughout the season our resident coaches share what they are coaching with you so you can use it too. No two weeks are the same.
- All plans contain videos and diagrams. Watch the videos to quickly understand how to run the session
- Clear instructions, coaching points and progressions allow you to coach with confidence and challenge your players
- Read the plans on any mobile, tablet or computer. You can save the plan as a PDF or print a copy to take on the pitch/court.
Latest Hockey Plans
First session with a new team - Possession Games
Use this training plan before your first game of the season and coach with confidence - working on possession plus the give and go
Passing and Moving - Loop, overlap and attack!
Change your players' running pattern to get them tying the opposition's defence in knots - perfect session to work on your team's attacks!
Pre-Season Selection Session - Pick your strongest starting XI
As the season beckons, make sure you?re fully aware of your strongest XI by putting them through their paces with numerous tests to really see who you are getting the most from.
Using the Reverse Stick Turn in Game Situations
Rolling out on your backhand side can be a risky play, exposing the ball more to the defender. However being able to effectively utilise it in games will develop you attacks, keeping them unpredictable and open up areas of the pitch you may not have discovered before.
Defensive reactions - Defending the break!
Build the whole of your game upon having a rock solid defence. Work on defending 1-on-1 as well as a team unit, starting from the front. This session develops the whole teams reaction to losing the ball and working hard to win it back as soon as possible.
First stick and ball session!
Your season starts now! You?ve been doing your fitness work but now it?s time to get a stick in your hands and start working on the basics with this session so that you?re sharp, polished and ready to hit the ground running when the first competitive game comes around.
All our plans are written with a clear goal in mind, to help you improve a key area of your players' game through simple drills, conditioned games and skill practices.
We work with a large number of coaches and sports educators so that we can bring you the widest range of
You can coach these sessions as they are or alternatively use them as a springboard for your own ideas.
Browse Hockey Lesson Plans by categoryPrev Next
- Conditioned Games Training Plans (2)
- Defending Skills Training Plans (6)
- Eliminating a Player Training Plans (2)
- Game related Training Plans (6)
- Indoor Hockey Training Plans (8)
- Movement off the ball Training Plans (6)
- Moving with the ball Training Plans (11)
- Overload situations Training Plans (3)
- Passing and Receiving Training Plans (17)
- Possession Training Plans (15)
- Training Plans for Juniors (9)
- Roles and Responsibilities (1)
- Scoring on the break Training Plans (3)
- Set Pieces Training Plans (2)
- Self Pass Training Plans (4)
- Shooting & Goalscoring Drills (7)
- 3D Skills Training Plans (1)
What our users say
Great site. An absolute must for coaches who are willing to change and learn new drills. Superb, simply superb.
Excellent, used the drills at our first training session today with 10-13 year old boys. They said they had never learnt so much in one session. Thank you keep them coming!
I really appreciate the Hockey Coaching on Sportplan. The senior girls really enjoy the variety of exercises.