Rugby Drill Demonstration
- Tell the players that when you touch the shoulder of a player, they: have to go into the center of the circle, pick up the ball, and try to break out with the ball. The circle must close the gap left by the player that has went into the circle, and bind tight to try and stop the player from leaving.
- IMPORTANT: The players in the circle must stay bound and cannot use their arms or knees to stop the player trying to exit. The player trying to exit cannot attack the smallest player, nor can they attack sensitive areas of other player's bodies. There must be a sense of fun. The ball carrier should attack the space between the players that are bound on, that space will be very small indeed.
- The coach walks around the circle taps a player on the shoulder, and lets the fun begin. If the player gets out - well done them. If not, let them rejoin the circle and the select another player.
- Don't spend too long on this - but the players should enjoy it.
Don't feel that you have to use all or any of the following coaching points, you may have some of your own.
- Players must play this game with a sense of fun and playfulness.
- Ball carrier should carry the ball in two hands, attacking space.
- There should be evidence of teamwork in defence, and communication.
- Defenders should judge where the attack is going to happen, and close up accordingly.
- Attackers drive through the contact, pumping with their legs.
- Attackers move the ball away from the contact towards their hips.
- Players respond quickly, understand their roles.
- Leaders provide encouragement.
- Players should be protective of one another.