Rugby Drill Demonstration
Break your players down into groups of 3.
In each area there should be 1 player with a tackle shield, 1 player with a tackle bag, and one with nothing.
Tell players to do the following.....
- One player stands five meters from the start of the channel holding up a tackle bag.
- One player stands at the opposite end of the channel with a tackle shield.
- One player will be running and making contact at any given time.
- The Player with nothing in hand runs to the player with the pad and drives them across the grid.
- On reaching the end they swap roles and the other player runs across the grid to the tackle bag, hits hard, and makes a tackle at the end of the grid. Following the tackle the players swap roles the new player runs across to the player with the pad and the exercise continues.
Don't feel that you need to focus on all of the following coaching points, pick the points that are closely realted to your own session goals or add some of your own!
- Players communicate with each other to ensure smooth hand overs and encouragement for each other.
- The tempo of the session is high, the work-rate should be challenging.
- Players make a strong hit with their shoulder.
- Players drive through the contact.
- Player foot position should allow them to apply the strongest hit and drive while staying control.
- Players wrap their arms around the target, possibly targeting the area behind the knee.
- Players drop their shoulder in advance of the contact to increase the strength of the impact.
- Players get to their feet quickly.
- There is evidence of changes of foot-speed when approaching a target.
- Players heads are up, scanning and adjusting body position etc. based on what they see.
- Players take contact and make contact safely.