Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell the players: The player in possession of the ball when the coach blows their whistle has to run around the cone at the end of the grid to try and run the full length of the grid to score a try. The player from the opposition in line with the player that is running can try to stop the player scoring by running around the cone and tagging the runner before they reach the line.
- For tag rugby players, provide all players with tags. In other variations decide on touch or contact, depending on how warm the players are - and your training goals.
- Provide coaching on the go with encouraging feedback.
Remember - you don't have to use all or even any of the following coaching points, you may have your own. Pick the points that are most relevant to your session.
- Passes are weighted correctly in terms of speed, distance, and catching position.
- Passes are not spun when they don't need to be.
- Players receiving the ball have their hands out.
- Player listen.
- Ball carriers carry the ball in two hands.
- Ball carriers use changes in foot speed to manipulate and beat defenders.
- Ball carrier use changes in running lines to beat defender.
- Defenders track ball carriers, closing them down quickly if possible.
- Defenders, if possible, use lines that push attackers towards the touchline. Using the touchline as an additional defender.
- If there is contact: Defenders tackle safely, keeping their head to the non falling side of the attacker, they execute the most appropriate tackle closing their arms rightly around the lower body of the attackers and keep their shoulder in contact with the ball carrier.
- Defenders may have to make side on, or tackles from behind.