Rugby Drill Demonstration
- 3 players
- one in tackle suit
- one with ball
- one tackle bag
The player in the tackle suit crouches or kneels next to tackle bag which is representing an attacking player.
The suited player tackles the bag and the player with the ball places it next to tackle bag to simulate the tackled player placing the ball.
The suited player then returns to their feet and gets ready to compete for ball with the third player who clears out suited player the win the ball.
- Encourage strong tackling with use of strong arms and a quick return to feet.
- Suited player should adopt a low strong position over ball with weight on their feet.
- Clear out player should adopt a low body angle on approach; knees bent, shuffle footwork, eyes on the target and head up.
- Tackler should target the lower sternum of suited player.
- Look for a big impact, driving the player up and off the ball with a strong leg drive with short steps.