Rugby Drill Demonstration
- Start out with a grid of 10 x 10
- Passing progressions are based upon the ability of players to fix defenders - ensure the exercise reflects match situations
- Start with three groups of three or four, each on a corner of the square leaving one corner free
- Players need to come around the corner, bending their runs before straightening up before popping the ball off to the next group
- The ball needs to travel through hands of all the players in the group
- Focus on delayed runs and angle, speed of runs from supporting attackers.
- Match speed to replicate realism
- Attacking the 'inside shoulders' of the defenders
- To progress the exercise, add in one defender holding a tackle bag, to passively defend
- The defender should move towards the first two attackers to add some pressure
- Further, you can add a second defender to increase the difficulty and add more realism to the practice
- This adds pressure to the second and third attackers.