The sweep is a variation from the hit pass.
The grip and stance are the same the ball is placed in line with the front foot.
The stick is drawn back a short way and swept forwards along the ground to strike the ball.
The position of each player's head over the ball
Transfer of weight onto the front foot are important in keeping a low and safe follow through with the stick.
Players pass and control ball on stick, forehand to forehand.
Ball is not allowed to bounce off the stick.
Passing & Receiving
Ball is played into the player by the far post who has to sweep the ball into the goal with a smooth, first time shot.
Player 1 starts by running with the ball to the right hand cone, keeping the ball in contact with the stick, before passing the ball to the next player (Red Player 1).
When the red number 1 receives the ball they mirror the move coming from either direction.
After the pass the players join the opposite queue.
Moving with the ball
Shooting & Goalscoring
- Perform the indian dribble whilst move the body through the cones
- The goal is to move the ball towards then cone, then cut it back quickly. This attempts to make a defender into making a challenge, allowing the attacker to move around a static player
- Performing a continuous stick dink - Practice 3D skills whilst moving in a linear fashion
- Performing the indian dribble on either side of the body while jogging
Defender steps in front of the attacker to intercept a pass Coaching Points Defender is marking over distance (not touch-tight) Defender times his run so he picks up the ball at the correct time Defender picks the ball up on the move Intercepting player keeps moving with the ball after interception to get away from the attacker and into a strong position Progression Make the attacker less passive
- Using the upright reverse stick to intercept a pass
- Leading towards and then away from a pass, receiving the ball on the reverse side
- Leading towards and then away from a pass, receiving the ball on the open side
- Restart at a penalty corner - Very important that the ball goes exactly where desired so the routine can run smoothly
Culture impacts how players work together, behave, feel and communicate. How can you as a coach help sculpt your team culture?
Cup final season is upon us! That's why we take a look at how to best prepare your players for the end of season showdowns!
The helpful tips, ideas and drills are super useful for developing our coaching abilities and the abilities of our players.