Rugby Drill Demonstration
This drill incorporates a number of match related areas.
- 9 starts by passing to the 10 who runs through the (green) gates and then passes the 12 and so on.
- Once 9 has passed the ball he supports the 10 via running throuh the cones and so on with the 10 and the rest of the back line follows suit.
- Once the 9 pass has gone the pack (Blue) players support through the cones aswell.
- when the 14 recieves the ball he then drives into pads, backs support clear out the ruck, whilst the support pack set a back line.
- Drill repeats with the pack going through the cones and supporting but backs support throught the cones then loop around the outside and form a defencive line facing across the field.
- The 9 collects the ball from the second ruck area loops outside with the backs and kicks the ball across the field.
- After the first ruck has finished the pad holders sprint and set a counter attacking back 3 between the halfway and 22m line ready to recieve the 9's kick and counter attack.
- Once the ball has been kicked the Red backs come up in a defencive line to stop the attacking back3.
- When either the back3 have been tackled or score on the touch line. The drill is over.
- All support players MUST run through the (Green)gates its the shortest route to the tackle and breakdown area.
- Passes have to be given once the player is through the gate.
- Gates can be set out either 5m or 8m from the try line and set the same in depth and width from each other (you'll notice all gates are in a perfect line diagonally across the field for each set.
- This Drill can help improve handling, communcation, fitness, rucking, line setting, defencive line,back3 counters and i'm sure you'll find more.
- It is important to let the players know why they are doing the drill and what you are trying to achieve.