Rugby Drill Demonstration
- The players behind start running around the circle in a clockwise direction.
- When the coach shouts ATTACK, each player must get back to their partner - staying outside the circle and moving clockwise.
- They must get through their partners legs before getting to the center of the circle and steeling a ball, then carrying it back and passing it to their partner.
- The team/group that does not get a ball is LEFT OUT!
- Make sure that you have something for the players that are out of the main game to do.
- Have the players return their ball to the center of the circle, but reduce the number of ball in the center of the circle by one. So if there are 7 groups left, there should only be 6 balls. The players swap roles in their groups, so the previous runner is now static.
- Start the game again.
- Experiment with the number of balls in the center of the circle - to make the game harder or easier.
You don't have to focus on all of the following coaching points, you may have some of your own. Pick the points that are most relevant to your teams training goals.
- Players respond to calls quickly.
- Players get to their feet quickly following time on the ground, change direction quickly after steeling a ball, and vary their foot speed from jog to sprint when the coach shouts ATTACK.
- Players carry the ball in two hands.
- The pass is not spun and is accurate in terms of speed, distance and position.
- Players encourage one another.
- Watch for cheating!
- Have an activity for players that are out of the game.