Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell the players the following laws.......
- One team will be attacking, the ball carrying team. The other will be a defending team.
- Defending players mark attacking players.
- The ball is passed by kicking, and can travel in any direction.
- Players try to catch the ball in the air, and have 3 seconds to make the pass. They can take 3 steps in that time.
- Tries are scored in the usual way.
- Players can compete for lose balls.
- Players should use all of the space available, and should move the ball to space.
- You can make this game a little harder by saying that attacking players must catch the passed ball in the air, if they do not, then the ball is turned over to the other team.
- Players should compete for the ball in the aim, getting off the ground.
- The ball needs to be passes to space for receivers to come into and onto the ball.
- Kicks are timed e.g. a higher kick will mean more air time and more time for defenders to get into place.
- Players identify weakness and exploit those weaknesses.
- Receivers and markers keep their eye on the ball, and are brave enough to compete for the ball without compromise.