Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell the players the following......
- The first group of 3 go first.
- The first player, the ball carrier, hits in on the pad and rolls off the bag, taking contact on the second defender and going to ground to place the ball.
- The defender can try to steel the ball.
- The second player hits in on the defender with their shoulder, driving forward and placing their hands on the ground in a press-up position over the ball and player on the ground, the third acts as a SH moving the ball to the next set of 3.
- The next 3 player unit does the same, moving the ball back to the first 3 player unit - which should have reset ready to go again.
- Players on the pads compete for the ball, legally.
- Supporting players, communicate with the ball carrier, calling them down.
- Supporting players aim to get hands on the ball carrier to provide cover in the ruck right away.
- The target time to complete the ruck should be quick, 3 seconds.
- Build the pace of this exercise as the players get better.
- Players should change roles.