Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell your players the following....
- They each have a number, 1, 2, and 3.
- They will jog up and down the grid, until the coach calls a number.
- The number called becomes the defender, the other two players are the attack.
- The defender runs to the top of the grid and turns to defend, the attack goes to the other sides of the grid and collects a ball to start the attack, this should be done at pace.
- When attack is over, the ball is placed outside the grid and all 3 players jog again and wait for the coaches call.
- Attackers need to be quick to respond to what they hear!
- Communication needs to be at the heart of the attack, who will get the ball etc.
- Attackers experiment in attack, using a number of ideas to beat the defender e.g. 1 v 1 evasion, switch, fix and pass etc.
- Attackers passes are weighted correctly in terms of speed, distance, timing, and choice of pass.
- Allow your attack the chance to throw the ball around a little, to be creative in attack.
- The reset following an attack is quick.