Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell your players the following.....
- 3 players start on the right cones.
- The remaining 3 players will be running, they start at the top of the grid.
- The runner take the first ball off the player standing at the first cone, they pass it down the line while advancing to the second cone.
- At the same time the player on the cone, who passed the first ball, runs to the second cone on a loop to retake the ball. They remain at that cone for the runners to return.
- The same thing happens at the second and third cones.
- When the attack gets to the bottom of the grid, and they have finished all 3 lateral passing tasks - they turn and go again.
- Change the runners and players on the cones when you're ready.
- Attackers heads need to be up, ready for what will happen next.
- Attackers realign following their pass.
- There is pace in the attack, with receivers coming onto the ball at pace.
- Each attacker communicate to call the pass, and to help other players to get into position etc.
- Attackers should talk themselves through what needs to happen, help your players build an attacking framework e.g. deep, speed, catch, always listen, always look, pass, deep etc.