Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell the players the following.....
- The player on the top of the grid is the defender.
- The player on the bottom is the attacker.
- When the defender passes the ball to the attacker, the attack begins.
- Using footwork and other evasion skills the attacker should score a try.
- That's it, play.
- Give the players a number of chances each - changing the attacker and defender.
- When you feel they are doing well, decrease the width of the grid by 1 meter. Keep decreasing until the players are at the limit of their ability to evade contact.
- The attacker uses changes in foot-speed to attack space, and fix the defenders running line before changing their own running line.
- The attacker is away that the defender is drifting, and cuts back in when it is clear they will not make the line.
- The attacker side-steps, rolls, and spins to avoid contact.
- If going into contact, the attacker seeks to hand off and evade contact.
- The defender needs to be careful not to over commit.