Rugby Drill Demonstration
Tell your players the following......
- Players will standing at the midway point of the playing area.
- Tell each team which direction they are playing.
- Set the ball on the ground in front of the players.
- If you call 1 then team one is in attack and they should pick the ball up, if you should 2 then team 2 is in attack and they should pick the ball up.
- The non attacking team is in defence.
- Normal rules of sevens apply.
- However, before each team can start their attack/defence, they must all run to their own try line and back.
- When the attack is over, all players return to the midway point to start again.
- That's it, lets play!
- Make sure that you give both teams a chance to attack and defend.
- Defenders work as a line, closing space quickly but with consideration to rapid changes in attacking patterns.
- Ball carriers look to move the ball to space.
- Ball carriers in contact should look to off-load the ball in order to keep the ball alive.
- Attackers move the ball away from traffic and into space.
- Communication is at the heart of the attack and defence.