Tennis Drill Demonstration
- Player serves from the deuce side.
- Coach hits a deep return to the middle of the court.
- Player stays close to the baseline and hits a half volley forehand to the open court.
- In this drill the player works on the first shot after the serve.
- A deep return is a big challenges so this aspect has to be practiced consistently to develop the technical and tactical skills to reduce the number of break points.
- Players should make a split step right after the serve to react quickly, stay low while preparing for the half volley and make a compact backswing to increase the chance of a clean contact in front of the body.
- For more advanced players the coach can set up zones to see how well they can control the shot while responding to a deep return.
Drill tags: be ready for deep return