Rugby Drill Demonstration
- 5 stage progression session.
1. Warm up - Wrestle
One player with the ball trys to fight their hips away from the other play who fights to to keep his/her hips infront of the other player.
2. 50% Side --> Front Tackle
Players start on oppsoite side of grid. Ball Carrier runs across while the defender makes a tall tackle, whist trying to get his hips in a front on position. Low to High hit, aiming for under the elbows or ball.
3. 2nd Defender introduced.
Double team tackle. Inside player hits low to high under elbow, keeping hips square. The second player aims for the ball and fights to keeps attacker off the ground.
4. Rugby Netball in 7m x7m grid.
Attacking team tries to complete 8 passes while the defending team tries to complete a choke tackle on one of the attacking players. Turn over once a choke tackle has been successfully executed.
5. Contact Game
Half pitch contact game, with defending team aiming to complete a choke tackle. Turn over when one is made.
- Footwork to set up the tackle - Foot in close.
- Hips up, Stay Tall. (NOT LIKE NORMAL TACKLE)
- Tall + Upright = Essential.
- Hit Low to High Under elbows.
- Fight for hips to be infront of the attacker.
- Strong ring of Steel.
- 2nd + 3rd Defenders - Target Ball.
- Once Maul is called - Do not roll off of the ball stay on top and force the turn over (even once the maul has collapsed)