Rugby Drill Demonstration
This game is designed to teach the players about retiring to an onside position when a tackle is made.
- Set-up a field approximately 10m wide and 15 m long. Place all the rugby balls at one end.
- Split the players into 2 teams and send them to opposite ends of the field.
- The attackers are the players with the ball and the defenders without.
- Explain to the players with the ball and defenders without.
- Explain to the players that the attackers are to try and get the ball to the defenders line to score a try.
- The defenders are to try and stop them.
- After a successful tackle both the defender and the attacker must return to their line by running out and around the corner marker.
- To begin with few attackers will get the ball over the line, however, as the players start to rounding the markers - more space opens up and defenders become less organized.
Attackers are allow to pass backward to other attackers. If the ball is dropped the attacker must take the ball back around the marker as if he was tackled.
Play what's in front of you - attackers should watch whats in front of them and try to evade them.