Rugby Drill Demonstration
- Exercise aimed at attackers staying square when running towards a defender in order to fix them to the spot and then spin a pass out to the side.
- Attackers start on a cone, before running towards a cone 3m away
- On that cone, the attacker sidesteps (drops the shoulder) and goes the other way
- Running straight now, the attacher goes towards the tackle tube (or whichever necessary object) in front of them and before 'contact' spins the ball out to the opposite side
- For example, if the player stepped towards the left, the pass is made to the player waiting on the right side of the area.
- The whole exercise needs to be at match intensity to replicate realism
- The sidestep should be quick, you can introduce a passive defender instead of a cone for players to step round
- Focus on accuracy of pass first, before encouraging them to increase the speed and flatness of the pass.