Rugby Drill Demonstration
- Highlights the importance of attacking from depth and letting the ball do the work in attack.
- Team of four attackers versus three defenders.
- The teams line up opposite each other face to face.
- On the shout of GO, each team retreats a few yards and the ball is passed to the nearest attacking player.
- The attackers then quickly pass the ball along to the next teammate in the line as they step up.
- The defenders try to get close down the attackers.
- Run backwards quickly at the start to create depth as the attacking team.
- Each attacking player should draw the attention of their opposite man and release the pass just before the defender comes to tackle.
- Doing this takes the defender out.
- Although it's important to pass quickly, the height of pass is important, as the attackers need to ensure the pass is at a good height for the next player to be able to pass the ball on quickly and effectively.
Drill tags: handling, quick hands